Sunday, August 26, 2007

Freetown Christiania





Recently my younger brother went backpacking across Europe with a group of friends, which is something that I am planning to do for next year.

Of all the places that he went to, the one that peaked my interest the most was Freetown Christiania in Denmark near Copenhagen. Christiania is basically an anarchist/communist collective of about 900 people living by their own rules. They have sucessfully thwarted government action and violent police raids for years.

Until my brother mentioned it, I had never heard of Christiania. I had heard of the nearby Ungdomshuset in Copenhagen because of all the recent media coverage over the riots.

Click the name of the blog for a link to the wikipedia page or paste this into your browser:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown_Christiania

I want to check it out.

No comments: